Pediatrician “Meet and Greet” Questions
I’ve just set up a few pediatrician interviews so that we can select a doctor who will see our baby after birth. Before going to the meetings, I’ve researched a bit of questions to bring with me. I assume our meeting will cover most of it, but in case anything is not covered this will be a handy list for me to go over. Most importantly for us will be to find a good doctor we are comfortable communicating with and has views that align with what we want for our child.
Take note from Observations during the meeting:
- Try to arrive a little earlier to see how the other patients and receptionists are? (Happy? Grumpy? Looks like they have waited forever?)
- Clean environment?
- Staff friendly?
- Parking available?
- How long was the wait?
- Was there a sick/well waiting room?
- How’s the doctor?
- Do you like the doctor’s communication style?
- Do you feel comfortable with the doctor?
My Pediatrician “Meet and Greet” Questions
About the Practice
- Is there a separate well and sick waiting room?
- What are the office hours?
- Are extended evening and weekend hours available?
- When the office is closed? Where should we go for urgent and emergency care?
- How will we reach you if my child gets sick after hours and on weekends?
- Are same day appointments possible?
- How does the practice work and can I expect to see the same doctor at each visit?
- Who will I be speaking to if I call with a question or concern regarding my baby?
- When are you not in the office and not on call? What happens if we need to come in and you are not in the office?
- What hospital are you specialized in? If my baby is hospitalized, will you be treating the baby or someone at the hospital will?
- Is there a nurse hotline or do we need to come in for everything?
- Are calls or emails for routine/non-emergency questions available?
- How are lab works (blood testing, vaccine shots) handled in the clinic? Is it done inside the clinic or do we have to go to an outside lab?
- What happens if more testing is needed but the clinic doesn’t have the equipment?
About the Doctor
- Do you sub-specialize in anything else?
- What are your thoughts on vaccination? What immunization schedule do you follow? (Are you open to alternative and delayed schedule?
- Views on breastfeeding/bottle feeding?
- Will you be available to discuss issues with breastfeeding?
- Views on developmental milestones?
- Will you be available to discuss behavioral developments?
- What would be your standard advice and procedure if my child has a fever? A viral infection?
About the Baby
- What happens when my baby is born?
- Does the doctor see newborns at the hospital or at the first office visit?
- When should I schedule to bring my baby in to see the doctor after birth?
- Do I need to get the birth and medical records from the hospital before leaving?
- Should I give vitamin or iron supplement to the baby after birth before I come in to see you? If yes, what would you recommend?
- How often will my baby need to be seen during their 1st year of life?
- If breastfeeding, should I continue to take prenatal, Vitamin D, and DHA supplement after giving birth?
- Anything else you would recommend I do after birth?
Source: Baby Center, Baby Center Community